Monday 26 August 2013

The Mc Cusker Brother's Ceilidh Band


     I recently purchased a great recording by Dermot Rafferty the album is called The Green Bunch of Joy and is truly lovely  recording of unaccompanied flute and a bit of fiddle. I really enjoyed his take on Irish Cry from Bunting. Ok so no piccolo but there is some Bb band flutes. Anyway here are the notes to track one, which lead me to some of the best piccolo music I've heard to date.


1. McKennas (Slow Reel)  2.16
This tune was recorded by the Mc Cusker brothers Ceilidh band in the 1950s. and Vincent, one of the fiddle players was married to my Aunt Mary .   The band had a distinctive sound due to Kevin’s roving piccolo lines .  I go to the other end of the flute spectrum and play this tune on an alto flute and at a much slower tempo. (Alto flute)


Kevin McCusker's piccolo playing is brilliant. Light and airy feeling with glottal or tongued accents, the pic blends well with the din of the accordions and fiddle. But the most interesting thing is his sparse use of normal ornaments but heavy use of trills. He also dances around the melody a bit. I can see how Dermot termed it "roving piccolo lines." I have been using trills for sometime in my own playing being influenced by certain pipers. McCuskers trills are different and have an almost trained feel to them. It is very interesting listening.





Here are some links
1
2
3












No comments:

Post a Comment