Wednesday 2 April 2014

Blackman Bb Band Flute Restoration


        Been too busy to update this page for a while. I have started to fix up old piccolos and flutes. I am still a novice but have read on it for years following how Jon C, and Jem Hammond among others have been going about it.


My concert flute is a Blackman so I purchased this  Blackman Bb from eBay (for about 60 quid) to go along side it. Probably a bit of a high price for this type of flute, but it plays in A440. When it arrived I noticed some small hairlines in the unlined head. I filled these rather messily with the wrong type of  CA glue (the pound land type).


 So fast forward a few years and I have another lovely Rudall Carte piccolo arrive with a body crack that happened during shipping or within an hour or two after arriving. I decided on fixing it myself and learning to do it properly. First I wanted some experience so out with the acetone to remove my sloppy repairs on the Blackman and start fresh. I used  super thin CA glue and dust made from the end cap of a junk flute. And finished with steel wool and oil. I cleaned all metal parts with  brasso and cleaned and oiled the wood. I then rep added  with closed cell foam.






No comments:

Post a Comment