Saturday 27 July 2013

Peter Worrell, maker


       Peter Worrell based in Norfolk, UK is making some stunning looking simple system piccolos. He also makes very high quality band flutes, wooden head joints for Boehm flutes, and a cylindrical eight keyed flute based on the Rudall and Carte flute once owned by Calum Stewart.

      
Peter makes both keyed and keyless instruments. 

Here is a clip of Calum playing one of these:

(Edit) I asked Peter what model piccolo is based on and how he got interested in making flutes for traditional music. Here is his reply:

The instrument was based on a Basel Piccolo. Large Bore piccolo.
 
I started making instruments for the traditional market primarily because I had always wanted to make a simple system flute that took a standard concert flute headjoint. I thought that this instrument would be good for cross over players.
 
I wasn’t aware that the instrument already existed albeit quite unique and made by Rudall Carte.  Robert Bigio had come across one but it was not quite what I was looking for. I waited for 8 years.
 
Then by chance Robert had Calum Stewarts telephone number and put me in contact with Calum.
 
I initially copied his instrument but during the prototype stages I made some alterations due to the original bore of the flute having changed. I was pleased with the final results and the Peter Worrell RC was available.
 
The first instrument went to Calum Stewart.
 
 
All the very best
Peter Worrell 

No comments:

Post a Comment